Copyright © 2014-
Kilburn is a small, very picturesque village and civil parish in North Yorkshire, England. With a population of circa 210, it lies on the edge of the North York Moors National Park and is 6 miles north of Easingwold.
Overlooking the village on the hillside above is the White Horse of Kilburn, made in 1857 by Thomas Taylor. He had left Kilburn for Australia on board a sailing ship and became a very successful bacon curer in Melbourne. On his return to the UK he passed the White Horse in Wiltshire and decided that it would be a good idea to construct a similar one on the face of the Hambleton Hills overlooking Kilburn, as a distinctive landmark. The village schoolmaster, John Hodgson, designed and constructed the Horse with a team of 31 men. It covers 3/4 of an acre and was cut out of the limestone rock. When the White Horse of Kilburn was completed there was great celebration. Two bullocks were roasted and more than a hundred gallons of beer consumed.
Kilburn is also famous for its oak furniture with the famous Mouse trademark. When Robert Thompson, the founder of the firm Robert Thompson's Craftsmen Ltd, started the business he was as poor as a church mouse and decided that every piece produced should therefore bear a reminder of his humble beginnings. There is evidence of his work throughout the UK and in many overseas countries. The adze finish to the surface area is a distinctive feature.
At the centre of Kilburn there is a small village square and The Forresters Arms -
The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book as "Chileburne". Kilburn, also Kylebourne or Chilebourne, takes its name from the beck that flows by the side of the main street, ciele-
The Norman church was built around 1120 and the north aisle added in 1180. The chancel was rebuilt in 1866.
Roger de Mowbray was Norman overlord of the district. In 1147 the Lord of the Manor of Kilburn was Robert Dayville. The settlement at Byland and at Newburgh was not without troubles, for in 1147 Abbot Roger complained to de Mowbray that the Lord of the Manor of Kilburn was being obstructive. Robert's son, John, reached an agreement with the Abbot as to rights of pasture in Kilburn, in return for the constant prayers of the brethren. He also agreed that the Prior of Newburgh and the men of Kilburn should have a reasonable quantity of timber for burning, fencing and mending their ploughs.
In the reigns of Henry I and Henry II, Kilburn Hunting Park came into being and some years later a manor house was built in Kilburn for the Head Forester. The Black Death took its toll in Kilburn in 1349. We are able to deduce this information from the way the taxation returns showed the amount of relief given.
[The above and the description elsewhere of the Kilburn Feast are edited extracts from an article written by John Kirk in 2000]
Kilburn, North Yorkshire